This nutrient-packed recipe uses avocado oil for a healthy monounsaturated fat source. The soup is loaded with collagen-rich protein from the chicken bone broth and plant-based white beans. The leafy greens are particularly great for bone health since they contain both calcium and vitamin K, known to reduce osteoporosis risk in menopausal women.
Try this heart healthy dietitian-recommended recipe for a nutritious lunch, or dinner tonight.
Spring Lemon White Bean Soup with Kale
From Monika Jacobson, RDN
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 cups (32 oz) chicken or turkey bone broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans white or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups (torn and loosely-packed) kale, spinach or Swiss chard
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the avocado oil in a large stock pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the chopped onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add another 1 Tablespoon oil, then stir in the dried herbs. Sauté for another two minutes or until the onions are lightly golden.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and bone broth then stir to combine. Bring the pot to a boil, then turn the heat down to low. Let it barely simmer, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the white beans and torn greens, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook another 3-5 minutes until the beans are warm and greens have wilted.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and serve with whole grain crusty bread if desired.
Monika Jacobson is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with over 15 years of experience coaching people through their health and wellness journeys, and is the owner of Eat Move Thrive Spokane.
If you need guidance on how to incorporate healthy recipes like this and others into your diet on a regular basis, consider working with Gennev's integrated care team who are experts in supporting women in menopause.