This loaded baked oatmeal can be meal prepped the day before so it’s easy to have a heart healthy breakfast ready first thing in the morning. It contains plant based healthy fats, fiber and protein from the chia, hemp and flaxseed. The flax and berries also contain phytoestrogens which studies have shown to support menopause symptoms. Oatmeal is full of soluble fiber – the type that lowers blood cholesterol (extra important in menopause as estrogen declines). And, it’s naturally sweetened with maple syrup, so there's no added refined sugars.
Blueberry Lemon Power Seed Baked Oatmeal
Created by: Monika Jacobson, RDN
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 Tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ¾ cup milk (any kind)
- 1/3 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, or substitute another berry)
- Plus extra ½ to 1 cup water depending on your oatmeal consistency preference
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the egg, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon zest and juice. Stir well.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the chia seeds, oats, flaxseed, rolled oats and sea salt. Then stir in the wet ingredients to the dry.
- Add the milk and coconut flakes. Then, carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Add extra water if desired to form more of a wet baked oatmeal (recommended) and pour into greased loaf pan.
- You can pause here and save the oatmeal to be baked later or overnight. If so, cover and place in fridge.
- When ready to bake, place pan in oven on center rack, uncovered.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. Pull from oven and allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Add Greek yogurt for some extra protein, or a splash of cream or milk for some added creamy goodness.
If you need guidance on how to incorporate healthy recipes like this one into your diet on a regular basis, consider working with our integrated care team who are experts in supporting women in menopause. They will create a personalized plan that will optimize your nutrition and other lifestyle factors, plus provide you the support to create healthy habits for the long-term.